rALATED

Thứ Năm, 1 tháng 3, 2012

Reviews & Ratings for "The Event"

I was amazed, twice., 23 September 2010
10/10
Author: volk2001 from Away
The first time, I was amazed for 42 minutes or so, while watching the pilot. No more big brother - but a series that has: -a good cast -good directing -great production -intriguing plot (as it seems) -makes you think (yes, that thing that people do sometimes) -makes you wonder (the thing that makes life a bit more interesting)

Then, I was curious and went on IMDb. And was amazed yet again, for about 10 minutes, while reading the reviews. Out of 14, 13 "reviewers" gave it "2 stars"... People complain that they "couldn't follow up"... You know, sometimes it may worth your while, to actually PAY ATTENTION to what you're doing/watching.

If you liked "Flash Forward", and got disappointed when it was canceled (surely, due to the kind of feedback I just witnessed), you will definitely love this. If they manage to keep up with the anticipation left by the pilot, if they manage not to drain it like they did with "Lost", it has the potential of becoming one of the best series of late.

Cheers, and don't let the facts confuse you.
Was the above review useful to you?  

63 out of 83 people found the following review useful:
Fascinating, 21 November 2010
Author: Isle1970 from United States
I was too busy at the time of premier to get into the program, but I DVR'd all the episodes for a later date. A couple of weeks ago I watched the first 7 episodes all at once, and have stayed up to date since. I am absolutely addicted to this show now, and will be heartbroken for the 3-month hiatus, and if it is subsequently canceled altogether.

I am taken aback by all the haters and pseudo-intellectuals nit-picking this program to death. There is absolutely nothing so onerously out of joint with this show as to draw that level of ire. And some of us prefer a show that requires our attention instead of our minds drifting to the bills or what we're going to make for dinner tomorrow night. I turn my phone off (anyone old enough to remember turning the house phone ringer off for some mini-series everyone wanted to watch?). I swear, there is a generation that simply refuses to be satisfied with anything. If it is infused with reality, the creators lack imagination. If it is imaginative, it has reality boundaries because their "sophisticated" willful suspension of disbelief must be bought off first. It's a cliquish farce.

Make up your own mind.
Was the above review useful to you?  

27 out of 33 people found the following review useful:
Amazed that is has been cancelled !??!?!, 7 June 2011
10/10
Author: dannyjcarr from United Kingdom
This show has been one of the best Sci-Fi series to come out for years, I enjoyed Lost but occasionally got "Lost" with it, The Event is not hard to follow, something happened during each episode leaving a cliffhanger and you wanting for the next. I can understand why NBC has cancelled another season due to a plummet in viewing figures, but I cannot understand their thinking, the pilot and subsequent episodes faired really well with great viewing figures, they decide to allow the show to have a 3 month break, without warning the show restarts at a later time in the schedule and on a different night (In the UK it went from 10pm on a Friday to 11.55pm on a Monday), I would not have noticed this, only did due to the fact I had it on series record on satellite TV so was able to resume my viewing, many people I think will have been unaware of this or unable to do this, I just don't think the viewing figures dropped due to it being a bad show, I think bad decisions by NBC and lack of advertising. It was truly an entertaining show, especially the last 7 or 8 episodes of the series when it all kicked off, its like an emotional roller coaster at the beginning you can sympathise with the Aliens and dislike the humans especially the president and his decisions but all that changes, I don't want to go into it too much but I think its a series that anyone could enjoy given a chance. There are the odd annoyances, there are a few plot holes and a few minor irritations i.e. the character Sophia, her acting at time was a bit wooden and emotionless, but I suppose you get people like that in real life, I know some myself. Anyway give it a chance and I am sure you will end up thinking like I do, hope they back another series, don't want to be left in another forever limbo with the fantastic cliffhanger of the final show of the series !
Was the above review useful to you?  

29 out of 38 people found the following review useful:
the best show since prison break, 11 May 2011
10/10
Author: sarmad-g from United Kingdom
This is definitely the best show since prison break. I have to admit that the first few episodes of the event were no where near as how good and extremely intriguing and exciting it has become up to the 20th episode!! As a result of the first few episodes not being good enough for some, there has been a dramatic fall in the number of viewers. BUT if all of the viewers carried on watching until now, i am very sure they would find it very difficult to ignore. What has made it better in the second half of the season is that the plot has changed, there are so many twists, its almost the perfect show to watch. Its nothing like I've seen before in terms of the ET stuff, etc! i cant wait for the last 2 episodes. I thought that there would never ever be a show as good as prison break, ever!! This show is definitely the one. I really, really want a season 2!!!
Was the above review useful to you?  

59 out of 100 people found the following review useful:
I enjoyed it!, 22 September 2010
9/10
Author: tinojr from United States
Though some believe it was a bit "busy" and didn't enjoy the flashbacks, this is something a lot of shows or series for that matter are doing. Though it seems confusing at the time its a set up so that in future shows you say,"so that's what that was about, now I get it." It leaves the viewer acknowledging these little "treasures" that give explanation to something previously seen. It wouldn't be any fun if everything was explained as the show progressed. It's the show that makes us think & piece together information viewed so we can try and figure how things are connected and then when revealed we either are proud ewe got it right or realize we didn't take all the facts into account and got it wrong. It almost makes the show an "interactive" experience & then we sit a discuss it with co-workers trying to figure it out. I guess more lazy minded viewers would like it explained bit this way its so much more exciting.You wouldn't want a mystery novel to tell you the killer or meaning of the clues in the first chapter, you read on to see how it relates.These are just my opinions, everyone else has a right to theirs. I loved it.
Was the above review useful to you?  

36 out of 55 people found the following review useful:
Getting more and more disillusioned, 17 October 2010
5/10
Author: mike_brunton from Saudi Arabia
*** This review may contain spoilers ***
Okay, okay ,okay, as a long time fan of sci-fi and fantasy the whole plot of the Event is really great. Yes, not in a clever mind-shattering way, but a solidly interesting premise. 97 'beings' with 99% of our own DNA crash land on earth in 1944. Kept in captivity for 60 odd years things are clearly starting to unravel. So far, so freakin' great. However, as another reviewer mentioned, writers seriously have to stop dishing out the same old, same old crap plot devices to carry a story. The cellphone is dead.........duh....the evil agent who gunned down a whole office is left with a little bonk on his head ,so he can promptly get up and chase them for another 3 minutes of 'exciting action'. In real life either the hero, who acts like Indiana Jones one moment or Doofus Dunderbolt the next or the agent who had just seen her entire office gunned down who would have double tapped him twice in the head and once in the heart for safety, I mean really!!!!!!!!!! I don't know if it's just too 'PG' for me, or the writers just aren't cool enough. The hero lacks real charisma and believability as said before and so far there are precious few other characters to care about...... The writers really need to drink a few shots of tequila with worms in it and take the gloves off,,,or just watch HOUSE..where a charismatic lead can carry a whole show, I really don't think the producers or directors know the direction they are taking our computer whizz-kid genius, who obviously will turn out to be an alien child,baby as well !
Was the above review useful to you?  

35 out of 54 people found the following review useful:
This Show Got Lucky, 18 November 2010
9/10
Author: Cindi (lurksindarkness) from United States
So, I had no intention of watching this show. The previews prior to its premiere kind of turned me off. For me, there were aspects of the premise that were too played out to make it worth my time. However, my TV just happened to be on the channel this show comes on and nothing else good had started yet so I stuck it out. The ending of the first episode made me want to know what would happen next. It took until the 3rd episode to get me hooked. Now, I love it. Yeah, the cutting in and out was problematic at first, but I'm a fast learner. The acting, in my opinion, is largely very good. I think it's smartly written and well paced. I will be honest, though. If I didn't have DVR I wouldn't have stuck this show out long enough to find that I like it because Lie To Me comes on in the same time slot. It did take a while to warm up and get into a groove that wasn't so chaotic and confusing, but now I can't wait to see what happens next.
Was the above review useful to you?  

41 out of 67 people found the following review useful:
Finally an Original Show to be glued too...each week is better than the last!, 23 October 2010
10/10
Author: cambodimerican24 from United States
For those who've seen many of the other hit shows (I hate to mention it but Lost being one of them...)will be getting a fresh new concept in that this show is as contemporary as things can get...I myself am very intrigued in the way the underlying plot ties into real-world conspiracy and extraterrestrial questions. From the Pilot to every episode released each week the suspense and edge-of-your-seat tension continues to have you glued to the television set waiting for more to be answered. The continuity of the plot is masterful in what I can only describe is something like Christopher Nolan's movie Inception or how the movie Vantage Point cleverly sequenced each cut to finally reveal the truth. The flashbacks and snippets of each character are revealed more and more through brief yet significant cuts. The cast and acting is superb in my opinion. For those who go in wanting to see a more "Lost" like plot should stray away as this is a totally different genre. Too many viewers complain that the cuts are confusing and that they don't reveal enough but this show wouldn't be as original and intriguing if every flashback gave you 100% of what each character was about. Each flashback lasts about a minute or so and does just enough to provide you with another small piece of what The Event is all about without being so info-packed to confuse even the most close-minded viewers. Whats the point of watching the show if the creator gave you the beginning, middle, and end all at once? Don't just take my word for it, go and watch it yourself and see how each episode takes you on a thrill-ride that you wish will never end. I give The Event a 10 out of 10 so far...the best Sci-Fi/Conspiracy Theory show out today
Was the above review useful to you?  

19 out of 25 people found the following review useful:
My Current MUST-WATCH Show!, 23 May 2011
10/10
Author: (jasonrobertbiggs) from United States
This is a fantastic show. Excellent cast, spearheaded by the amazing Blair Underwood who plays the African-American President. I'm not too keen on the Sophia character, who seems to have the same facial expression and voice mannerism, regardless of the situation at hand. But the rest of the cast is superb, particularly the President's White House team - they seem to have the gravity and charisma to easily pull off a successful "The West Wing" remake.

The show advertised itself as a "what if '24' and 'Lost' had a baby" TV offspring, and I am definitely getting that vibe. The constant pacing of action and suspense remind me of "24", but with more depth and realism, so it's not as cheesy and convoluted (oh don't get offended, I'm a huge "24" fan but I'll readily admit that "24" had a level of cheesiness and hokiness that was good for unintentional laughs). And the aura of mystery and plot development is reminiscent of "Lost." Admittedly, "Lost" had the more interesting character development, but "The Event" seems to have a stronger, more robust plot that certainly knows where it's headed, which makes me feel as if the writers for "The Event" already have a strong ending in plan many seasons in advance - you brave, disappointed "Lost" fans who hanged on until the series finale know EXACTLY what I'm talking about! There were some painfully sad moments that were very compelling. For example, Agent Lee, who seemingly never ages as a result of his extraterrestrial genes, ran into an elderly woman who was his girlfriend of apparently same age many decades ago, and had to pretend to not recognize his long-lost love for the Greater Good. Those were beautifully done, heart-wrenching scenes.

So far, I have been thoroughly satisfied with this show. Every episode has been great. I can see how someone who joins in midway might get confused and lose interest (of course - this IS a serialized drama!) - so I HIGHLY recommend starting from the first episode and watch at least three episodes. You WILL be hooked, guaranteed.

If this show gets canceled, I'll be hugely disappointed - it would really really say something about us as TV viewers if we allowed disappointing garbage like "Heroes" and "V" to run on for more than a season but allow a high-caliber show like "The Event" with excellent production value and strong plot to go off air. Watch it! You will love it, that is my promise.

Edit: I caught the season finale yesterday - I was THOROUGHLY satisfied with it. It was indeed a wild ride. Without giving anything away, I will just say what I saw in the last few seconds give me hope that we are in for a VERY exciting and compelling second season - that is, if the show's still on the air. Come on, NBC execs, don't let us down!
Was the above review useful to you?  

15 out of 20 people found the following review useful:
Great! When the 2 season will be ready?, 18 May 2011
10/10
Author: hristo_betafest from Bulgaria
A different and great scenario! Why they do not produce more movies like this, different than the "emo trash" ..vampire stories and scraps like this, which are only pointed for the teens. After "24", "Flash forward" there is a lack of good TV serials. Great actors work, the scenario sway the minds. I suggest the producers to look more in the ratings in the other countries, because they are also a "market" :-) I think NBC has made the right decision to give a credit to the crew filming the serial,so please give them another for filming next season. All Europe is with you:-)) We want more, We want more, we want more!!! Personally I want to see what will happened if the aliens make it to Earth! Just my opinion! The conspiracy is like a narcotic for the audience.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét